“Sod the wine, I want to suck on the writing. This man White is an instinctive writer, bloody rare to find one who actually pulls it off, as in still gets a meaning across with concision. Sharp arbitrage of speed and risk, closest thing I can think of to Cicero’s ‘motus continuum animi.’

Probably takes a drink or two to connect like that: he literally paints his senses on the page.”


DBC Pierre (Vernon God Little, Ludmila’s Broken English, Lights Out In Wonderland ... Winner: Booker prize; Whitbread prize; Bollinger Wodehouse Everyman prize; James Joyce Award from the Literary & Historical Society of University College Dublin)


.

.

.

.

11 September 2011

SNOOZIN WITH ELIAS CANETTI








 


For Elias Canetti
On re-reading The Secret Heart Of The Clock



 

I was thinking of growing older.
As I did, the ground grew colder.

Which flipped me back to getting younger.
Then, I couldn’t stand the hunger.

So there I was with my warm night,
already in the past: replete; just right.






Philip White

.

3 comments:

whiter said...

that one's got its tongue out whitey

hinger said...

trying to be not too authoritative

Anonymous said...

Jeez Elias looks like Tony Bilson!